Wednesday 30 December 2009

Kat: Cairo, Marie: Gaza

Hello everyone,
Ok so I'm alone now in Cairo. I wanted to write what happened this morning it was pretty awful. 

Marie and I were feeling a bit weird about being part of 'The 100' who were going. it was a really shit decision that was made within about 10 minutes about who would go. nothing was discussed, nobody elected and as a result certain people who should've gone were not on the official list. for example, there are a bunch of south africans here and only 2 of them were going compared to 34 americans. 

it just so happened that marie and i were at the right place the right time. too fucking lucky and were on the list. 

the deal was that 2 buses would be able to go to gaza. only two, which really isnt enough. Code Pink agreed to the deal, but later said it was a mistake they made. it seems like they have no idea what they are doing, don't have a clear leadership and are shit at ocmmunicating. 

anyway there was massive dissent and huge division were created along very opinionated lines. ppl were shouting, accusing of betrayal, crying, screaming literally hating. no more solidarity. 

when we got on the second bus, the ppl on the first bus got off and we then also got off, we decided to. we then soon left the scene because it was too horrible to stay. 2 hours later though we went back and the buses were still there. at this point it was an "anyone can go" policy, which is a little ridiculous. but marie and i decided that she will go and i will stay. 
1) she really needs to, she wants to work in development and she's got the right mind for it. 
2) there are still 1000 ppl here and we're doing more stuff in cairo, pressuring harder so i might stay here, but i dunno. i feel quite shit right now and very low. 

Im really happy Marie is there, she also wanted it more than I did at that point, I was too drawn into the politics of it all. 

I must say that I am honestly shocked by all of this. It seems as though everyone has forgotten why we are here. It's too divided now and I don't know what to do. I regret not getting on the bus, but I couldn't do it. Not under these circumstances and I am sorry But Marie is there and I am so pleased that she has gone. 

Thank you all though. We also felt that we owe it to you that we go. You've been amazing, you really have. 

Kat

1 comment:

  1. I've read your reports, mails and blogs, - and I really feel sorry for all who's there right now, because it seems like there's no fairness in anything going on and there's not much hope for any change in the future..
    Wish you good luck and energy, - and wishes for the new year that it will bring peace and justice for all supressed people in Gaza and the world!

    ReplyDelete