Wednesday 30 December 2009

Direct from Gaza!

Dear all,
I'm now writing from GAZA! The two CodePink busses of 100 delegates made it past the Raffah border at midnight this evening. I cannot describe how incredible it felt driven straight past a wide open border. It almost all seemed too easy.

The group of freedom marchers is full of inspiring people from everywhere; Palestine, Canada, South Africa, Turkey, USA, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Lebanon, China, and 4 Othodox Rabbis (Jews for justice)! Their projects and profesions are everything from journalism, film production, writers, doctors, phychotherapists, social workers, teachers, and palestinians who wish to reunite with their families.

Finally deciding to going on the bus was one of the toughest decision I have ever made. I cannot put words to how terrible I felt when the bus was leaving and they were people standing by the bus stop screaming and crying "traitors" at the busses. Kat and I both fully agree that President compromise only allowing 100 out of 1362 activists into Gaza is a completely unfair deal! And the entire rushed undemocratic procedure through which delegates were chosen to be on the list (reminding everyone of horrors of Schlindler's List and Apartheid) was emotionally torturous for everyone.

However, ultimately the aim of our project is to attempt to break the siege for the sake of the palestinians in Gaza. This is the altruistic end we must focus on, not the individual claims of democracy and egalitarian principles of 'everyone or no one'. Sadly, this project had to be restrained within the realm of RealPolitik due to an egyptian police state led by Mubarak and his wife (hiding behind a propagande-infiltrated interest in women and peace). We couldn't let the busses leave without at least one of us being on it to go to Gaza and make a further step towards the breaking of the siege. However, we were both torn, so Kat decided to stay and I to go.

Being here I do feel like a traitor, and I don't believe I deserve this place. Most importantly, I really wished Kat was here with me. Yet, I was jsut on the phone to our friend Ahmed and he was laughing of happiness and can't wait to join us all at the march tomorrow! That made me believe we made the right decision afterall.

We received an incredibly warm welcome by the Palestinian Gaza Freedom March Leader and Hamas. The two busses passing the Raffah border was NOT the breaking of the siege, however it was indeed a step towards opening the borders of Gaza to the rest of the world.

Peace to you all, Marie

3 comments:

  1. don't listen to the haters. in politics, sometimes you have to take what you can get, and even letting in 100 people is better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched a couple of videos from Cairo and read a few bulletins, - not to good..
    But I wish you a great experience and hope you will meet a lot of your friends!
    At least I don't sit and cry like last new year.. :)

    ReplyDelete